Retractable Bluetooth headphones are a little different from conventional headphones. Regardless of whether you are looking for wireless or wired earbuds, you need to know a little bit more about the style, to be able to make an informed purchasing decision.
Retractable headphones are usually connected via Bluetooth to housing that can be comfortably placed around the neck. This offers greater versatility in situations where the headphone are worn in the long run.
You can take your earbuds out of your ears and dangle them around your neck so that they are easily accessible later. They’re best suited for people who wear headphones most of the day to answer calls, listen to music, and move around.
They’re designed to be movable and comfortable under working conditions. The sound quality is often high because there’s more potential for higher-quality technology in the neckband.
7 Best Retractable Bluetooth Earbuds
LG Tone Infinim HBS-910
The LG Tone Infinim HBS-910 is a highly valued addition that allows you to enjoy music on the go. The mix of reliable battery and comfortable ergonomics means that you’ll love to wear this device every day to enjoy all your music.
The HBS-910 headset was developed with elegant design in mind. The slightly flexible part, which is looped around the neck, leads down to the monochrome line which gives the impression of a coherent and simple design.
The neck strap is a flexible piece of plastic that bulges like a horseshoe into a thicker arm on each end. It only weighs 1.8 ounces
The left-arm holds a small power button on the inside and a button to answer/end calls, flat volume control, and micro USB port for charging. On the right arm, there’s a play/pause button and a switch for forward/backward movement of the tracks with the face outward. The pinhole microphone for making calls located on the top of the left arm.
The earpieces are cylinders with structured, gunmetal-colored tips in the form of bottle caps. They’re connected to their respective arms on the collar using thin 10-inch wires. A button on each arm pulls the wires back into the collar so that each earpiece is under a lip that completely covers the top of the collar.
The headset is available in black, silver, or rose gold. The design is also light, so you won’t feel like they are a burden that you have to carry for long periods.
- Weighs 1.8 ounces
- Wireless connectivity
- 16 hours of battery life
- 20 – 20,000 Hz frequency range
The retractable design provides an in-built cable management system that efficiently reduces the volume and hides the wires. This is convenient and improves the lastingness of the headphones. Because the wires are hidden they cannot get caught on anything that reduces the risk of damage.
The lucidity of the microphone is one of the highlights here, which means that you don’t have to repeat yourself often. The buttons are also conveniently placed so that you can answer calls while on the go.
This combination is useful for answering calls without having to stop to take out your smartphone. Advanced Quad-Layer Speaker Technology is used to ensure that voice-based sound is well received.
The headphones have a battery life of 16 hours and a charging time of only 2 hours. However, there is no quick charge function that allows you to charge the battery quickly and only for short charging time.
The audio drivers were specially developed for music lovers who appreciate a sophisticated level of audio playback. You’ll love the combination of deep bass and crystal clear highs that ensures a great balance on the frequency response of 20-20,000Hz.
- The good battery life of 16 hours
- Well implemented microphone
- Proven electronics brand
- The mids could be improved
The headset LG Tone Infinim HBS-910 by LG is suitable for buyers looking for portability, wireless connectivity, a trusted brand, and a great audio performance.
Legato Arc Bluetooth Neckband Headphones
Legato Arc is ultra-light and designed to fit snugly around the neck. You will not even feel that you are wearing it. It is the perfect Bluetooth audio accessory for your daily life with a VOICE COMMAND. A 5-minute charge will give about 1 hour of playtime, and 10 hours of playtime with a 2-hour charge.
The Legato arc headphones have a memory flex band that tapers to the thickness of a finger and is bent downwards to naturally sit on the clavicle. They are extremely cozy and light-weight. The earplugs are very close to the ear and the silicon rubber tips form a good seal for an even sound.
All controls and the micro USB charging ports are on the left arm. The port is located on the inner edge and is well protected by a tightly fitted cover.
There’s a multi-function button on the outer edge that allows you to turn on the music, play/pause, access Siri/Google, and change the 3 sound modes.
There’s also a well thought out volume and track selector switch. A short tap on the switch adjusts the volume level and a longer slide will skip tracks.
- Voice control: activate Siri, Bixby, and Google to text and call
- Pairing up to 8 devices
- Pairing with two devices simultaneously
- 3 Step Equalizer: changeable mode (Bass/Mid/Treble)
- Automatic retraction technology (Patented)
- Storage alloy frame (Extreme Flexibility)
- Vibration alerts incoming call
- Weighs 1.23 ounces
The Legato Arc’s have a dynamic 14mm driver together with the Qualcomm apt-X audio codecs. They create good sound quality and are relatively loud.
These headphones are equipped with 3 equalizer modes: there’s the standard sound range, one that prefers the high-end segment, and another that’s more bass-emphasizing. To switch between modes, simply tap the multifunction button twice.
The multifunction button is also utilized to turn on and off the headset and answer/end calls and activate the wizard on your mobile phone such as Siri if you are an iPhone user.
The only other button is a slider that slides in two directions. This allows you to adjust the volume and also jump forward or back to the previous/next audio track. The Legato Arc has a 135mAh battery that’s small, but it’s not uncommon for a neckband of this size to have a smaller battery.
The headset takes about 2 hours to charge from 0% to 100%. It offers a talk time of up to 10 hours and a standby time of an enormous 600 hours.
- Great design
- Easy to use
- Good quality materials
- Retractable cables
- The bass mode is a bit too strong on the bass
Legato Arc Bluetooth Headphones are exceptionally designed and extremely lightweight neckbands, that come with some cool features like vibrating alert and retractable cables.
RoomyRoc Bluetooth Headphones
- Hi-Fi STEREO SOUND WIRELESS BLUETOOTH HEADSET: Designed with Bluetooth 4.2 technology with advanced CSR8635 chips, with the most stable signal and HD & HiFi sound. CVC6.0 noise reduction technology, brings you pure and wonderful music sound as well as HD mobile calls. Pairing is so easy that you can pair two Bluetooth devices at the same time.
- INTELLIGENT VOICE & LONG BATTERY LIFE: One-touch to access Siri or Bixby to call, text and navigate. With powerful rechargeable battery, it can support up to more than 12 hours of music time, 16 hours of talking time and 180 hours of standby time with a single charge. Lasts all day for outdoor sports exercise and indoor entertainment. (Note: Supports IOS device power display, No need to worry about the battery life)
- FOLDABLE, EASY TO USE WIRELESS BLUETOOTH HEADPHONES: Newest design, neckband retracts when not in use, vibrating call alert. Simply hang the earphones on your neck when not in use. Has telescoping earplugs, one-click automatic recycling, so that you no longer have the trouble of wires. Foldable on both sides for easy carrying. Vibrating call alert so you can avoid missing incoming calls when the earplugs are not in your ears.
- LIGHTWEIGHT, SWEAT-PROOF, STYLISH WIRELESS HEADPHONES: Comfortable to use, you will almost forget that you are wearing these. The ergonomic neckband design makes it more stable on the neck during exercise, so you don't have to worry about damaging the Bluetooth headset. With perfect curved design, more suitable for the neck, making the headphones unparalleled in fashion and high-end design.
- WIDE COMPATIBILITY WIRELESS EARBUDS: The RoomyRoc Bluetooth headset can be connected to most Bluetooth enabled devices, such as iPhone X / iPhone8 / iPhone 8 Plus iPhone 7 / iPhone 7 Plus / iPhone 6s / iPhone 6s Plus, Samsung Galaxy S9 8 / Note 8 / S6 / S7 Edge, Moto Z / HTC 10 / HTC Desire 10 / ASUS Zenphone 3 / Huawei P10 / 9 Honor8, iPad, iPod, Samsung Galaxy devices, Sony devices, Bluetooth enabled PSP, TV, tablet, computer, etc.
RoomyRoc Bluetooth headphones offer a good range of motion while sitting nicely between your shoulders. A great pair of all-around headphones that save the pain of wiring but still offer long battery life.
This model has one of the most straightforward designs, with a very elegant and flat neckband that sits comfortably on the shoulders. Its matt black matte exterior makes it a perfect fit with every style. Since it’s foldable, it is easy to carry and can be put directly in your pocket or backpack.
The earplugs are small and can be easily inserted into the ear. There are replacement foam earpieces to get you the right fit.
- Weighs 2.04 ounces
- Wireless connectivity
- 12 hours of battery life
- 20 – 20,000 Hz frequency response
Bluetooth 4.2 is implemented which enables distortion-free sound and a range of 33 ft. from the sounding device. The stable signal quality ensures you can immerse yourself in the music and the call quality is also excellent.
The battery enables runtime of 12 hours of music and 16 hours of talk time. The standby time is also 180 hours, which means you can leave it there for days without having to recharge it. There is software support to display battery life on iOS devices for your convenience.
They are retractable and collapsible, which means they’re handy to take with you. Since they can be reduced in size, they can be stowed in a bag without taking up a lot of space.
The design is also durable, but you need to make sure that the earbuds are retracted after use. Otherwise, the wires can get caught on something and pull at the connection point.
The design is also aimed at sports enthusiasts who are interested in training. They’re durable and sweat-resistant, which means you don’t have to worry about sweat related damage.
Besides, jogging in the rain is allowed because the design protects the audio drivers from light water splashes. This level of durability at the budget end is impressive and not so little there was in the past years.
Intelligent voice controls are also available allowing you to communicate with voice-based assistants like Siri, Google Assistant, and Alexa. The clear microphone means that the voice recording is good so you don’t have to repeat yourself often.
- Durable and suitable for sports
- The good battery life of 12 hours
- Excellent microphone implementation
- Ergonomic design
- Visuals could be improved
The RoomyRoc Bluetooth Headphones are a good choice for buyers who need portability, reasonable battery life, and durability. The sweat resistance means you can use these headphones while exercising not worry about damage to the audio driver.
MPOW Jaws Gen 3
- 13 HOURS PLAYTIME: Mpow Bluetooth Neckband Headphones offer up to 13 hours of listening time or 350 hours standby time after 3 hours charge per time with its powerful 145 mAh battery. You could enjoy your long lasting music time and check the battery on your phone.
- HD & Hi-Fi SOUND: Mpow wireless neckband headset provides a HD and Hi-Fi sound for an immersive listening. With a high-quality CSR8635 chip, Mpow Bluetooth neckband headphones offer wider compatibility, easier pairing and more reliable connection with most Bluetooth enabled devices.
- CVC 6. 0 NOISE-CANCELLING MIC: With a built-in CVC6. 0 noise reduction mic, Mpow Jaws Gen-3 Bluetooth neckband headphones reduce background noise to provide a clearer voice for hands-free calls. You won’t miss any important details of your phone conversation.
- MAGNETIC DESIGN & CALL VIBRATE: The built-in magnet attracts earplugs to the shark-like mouth of the neckband when you don’t use them. Mpow Jaws Gen-3 Bluetooth headphones can vibrate when a phone call comes in and avoid missing incoming calls while the earplugs are not in your ears. (Note: Cables are not retractable! )
- LIGHTWEIGHT & COMFY NECKBAND: Mpow Bluetooth neckband headset weighs only 1. 2oz in flexible and durable silicone material. And 3 different ear tips size (S, M, L) offer personalized comfort and enhanced stability. CONVENIENT CABLE CLIP: You can easily adjust cables by moving its cable clips on both sides. No flapping cables will bother you.
Mpow has developed a pair of comfortable neckband headphones with great sound. These special headphones are very durable. They’re not the kind of headphones you have to be extremely careful with. Some of the features include HD/Hifi sound, CVC6.0 noise reduction technology, Bluetooth v4.1, and CSR8635 chips.
They have a magnet in their headphones that prevents them from dangling freely when they’re not in your ears. They have a carry case to keep them safe and in place when not in use. A quick charge gives you 13 hours of battery life.
The Mpow Jaws have a strange-looking design around their neck. They have two plastic housings at the tips of the neckband that house all the electronics and a thin wire frame that is covered with a loose rubber coating.
Unfortunately, the plastic and rubber utilized feel inferior, and the overall build quality is poor and looks a little cheap. On the upside, they have a cool, magnetic slot for the earbuds that prevent them from dangling and getting tangled.
The earbuds are relatively small, and the standard tips do not exert excessive pressure in the ear canal. The flexible and durable silicone neckband is 60% lighter than most other collar headphones. Like all good headphones, they’ve a vibration alarm indicator, one-button control, and a built-in clear microphone.
- Weighs 1.2 ounces
- 13 hours of playtime
- Improved HD & hi-fi sound
- Noise-canceling microphone CVC 6.0
- Magnetic earbuds & vibrating alert
- Light neckband construction
With their built-in 145mAh battery, the Mpow Bluetooth neckband headphones deliver up to 13 hours of listening time and 350 hours of standby time after 3 hours of charging per time. You can enjoy your long-lasting music time and check your phone’s battery.
The wireless neckband headsets from Mpow offer HD and Hi-Fi sound for an impressive listening experience. Thanks to the high-quality CSR8635 chip, Mpow Bluetooth neckband headphones offer broader compatibility, easier pairing, and a more reliable connection with most Bluetooth enabled devices.
With the built-in CVC6.0 noise-canceling microphone, the Mpow Jaws Gen-3 Bluetooth headphones with neckband filter out surrounding noise to and thus ensure a clearer voice for hands-free calls. So you don’t miss any important details of your phone call.
The in-built magnet attracts the earplugs when you are not using them. Mpow Jaws Gen-3 Bluetooth headphones can vibrate when a phone call comes in and prevent incoming calls from being missed if you don’t have the earbuds in your ears.
Mpow Bluetooth neckband headsets weigh only 1.2oz made of flexible and durable silicone material. And 3 different ear tips size (S, M, L) offer individual comfort and stability.
- 13-hour battery
- Stable sound
- Reliable Bluetooth signal
- Not waterproof, this product can only withstand small drops and sweat
The MPOW jaws Gen 3’s contains all of the necessary functions that you would expect from a neckband headphone. It’s really easy to listen to music, watch movies, or make long-term phone calls. They are convenient and practical.
LG Electronics Tone Ultra HBS-810
The Tone Ultra HBS-810 from LG electronics is a successful implementation of the design of the retractable wireless headphones that allow users to feel comfortable on the go. The design is a bit bulky than the competition, but the features found here should give you some food for thought.
The Tone Ultra is available in black or blue and is very similar in design to the other models. It consists of a very flexible, semi-circular rubber neckband with a thick arm at both ends that hold most of the electronics and hold both the earpieces and their wires.
The right arm has a play/pause button and an outward slide switch for navigating tracks. The left-arm holds a button for answering/ending calls and volume control, also directed outwards.
A micro USB port for charging is located on the right next to the volume control behind a plastic door. There’s a small power switch on the inside of the left arm, and a pinhole microphone on the top of the arm allows you to make calls.
Each earpiece is a simple, curved cylinder with an ear tip at one end that is attached to the collar with thin 10-inch wire on each arm. The wire is spring-loaded and pulls back into its arm with a slight pull so that the earpiece sits in a recess at the end until you are ready to listen.
- Weighs 41.4 ounces
- Wireless connectivity
- 13 hours of battery life
- 20 – 20,000 Hz frequency response
- Retractable earplugs
- Volume and music control at the push of a button
- Passive noise cancellation
This device uses JBL technology to enable the audio experience via the fine-tuned audio drivers. The mix of extra bass and crisp mids/highs means that you get a balanced overall audio profile.
However, audio fidelity may not impress audiophiles among you who are used to the audio of a different class. Passive noise reduction helps clarify the sound in noisy environments.
The silicone foam ear gels block incoming ambient noise at an effective rate. Therefore, the sound in the earpieces competes not with sounds in your environment.
The robust microphone has a low-distortion structure that picks up voices very well. In this way, you can have uncomplicated conversations without having to repeat yourself all the time.
The microphone is well placed so you don’t have to bend forward to reduce the distance to your mouth. With the built-in controls, you can also adjust the volume and rewind the track.
- The battery life of 16 hours
- Well implemented microphone
- Proven electronics brand
- The mids could be improved
The LG Electronics Tone Ultra HBS-810 is the right choice for buyers who want a mix of a solid microphone and attested wireless connectivity. You’ll love the combination of passive noise reduction that improves sound clarity and longevity.
Sennheiser HD-1 In-ear Wireless Headphones
- Ergonomic around the neck design features soft stitched sheepskin nappa leather neckband offering all day listening comfort.Connectivity Technology: Wireless
- Bluetooth 4.1 with AAC codec support and Apt X compatibility provides exepctional sound quality via crystal clear wireless transmission
- Up to 10 hour battery life with USB charging. Charging time:Approx. 1.5 hrs .Battery time 10 hrs (A2DP/HFP)
- Supports convenient multi connection of up to 2 devices at once, with 3 way calling capability;Pick up pattern : Omni directional
- 2 year global warranty when purchased from an authorized Sennheiser dealer;Ear coupling : Ear Canal
The Sennheiser HD-1’s bring you the sound that will remind you it’s now 2020. Their sound is so fine and robust in the sense that you get an almost incomparable balance. The bass never exceeds the mids but sits perfectly in the middle of a legitimate resting place.
These earbuds are made of beautiful, soft sheep-skin Nappa leather and sewn on the flexible neckband. The red thread and cord accents add a little flair without compromising the elegant design of the HD1 earphones.
On the left-wing of the neck strap are the playback controls, a power button, and a microphone with omnidirectional characteristics. Each ear hook made of stainless steel has a mirrored chrome surface and is complemented by the impact-resistant polycarbonate elements.
- Weighs 1.87 ounces
- Multifunction button
- 10 hours of battery life
- the frequency range of 15Hz-22kHz
- Bluetooth v4.1
There are three playback control buttons on the left interior of the neckband, and the middle button provides access to virtual assistants such as Google Assistant and Siri.
You can also optimize output levels and skip tracks (you need to long-press the volume up and down to jump forward or backward) without having to fish your playlist hosting device out of your pocket.
Since they’re separate buttons that are about 1mm of apart between the individual buttons, it’s easy to distinguish them all from one another. Subtle plus and minus signs are embossed on the volume buttons, but these are not noticeable when the headset is worn. This makes the fine adjustment of the levels somewhat fiddly.
Sennheiser a battery life of 10 hours. Inside the earpieces, dynamic drivers deliver a frequency range of 15Hz-22kHz.
The neckband is also NFC-compatible so that compatible devices can be connected by simply tapping on them. You can also connect to two devices at the same time; this is useful for answering calls on one device and listening to sound from another.
The central button controls playback and also manages your incoming calls — tapping twice will mute the microphone, a less common feature.
- Strong bass, nice mid and clear treble
- Authentic leather collar
- Comfortable to wear
- Bulky neckband
- Poor noise isolation
- Could use more options for customizing earplugs
The sound quality is so outstanding. Meant for people who want to listen to music. If you’re hunting for amazing sound quality, then the Sennheiser HD1 in-ear will fit perfectly into your world.
- High-performance, wireless earphones in black
- Compatible with iOS and Android devices
- Up to 8 hours of battery life for when you’re on the go
- With Fast Fuel, a 5-minute charge gives you 2 hours of playback when battery is low
- Flex-Form cable provides all-day comfort with easy purse and pocket portability
BeatsX headphones are the first Bluetooth set from Beats with the help of the Apple engineering team. They have a new, flexible cable that fits around your neck.
BeatsX is very comfortable and also sits without ear hooks or wing-tips commonly seen in other sports earbuds.
A length of Flex-Form cable—Beats’ name for the heavy, semi-rigid flat cable that runs between the two electronics pods of the headset—runs over the neck when the earphones are worn. Lighter ribbon cables run between the pods and the end caps.
- Weighs 20g
- 8 hours of playtime
- 30 ft. Bluetooth range
- Apple W1 Bluetooth ship
- Weighs 074 ounces.
In terms of sound quality, these earbuds have strong, rich bass that one would expect of Beats. They also use the impressive W1 chip from Apple, which enables a longer battery life and a stable Bluetooth connection.
The W1 chip enables BeatsX to automatically identify and pair Apple devices that use the same cloud ID. In the middle of the right cable, you’ll find the inline volume/audio track of the headset as well as the Siri controls and the microphone.
The earbuds have a runtime of up to eight hours before they need to be recharged. This estimate is usually accurate, provided that it is used at low to medium volumes.
If you want a full charge, you must stay connected to a USB power source with a lightning cable for around 45 minutes. BeatsX has introduced the fast fuel feature, which allows you to get two hours of playback with just 5 minutes of charging.
- Fast charging
- Solid wireless performance
- Supported communication and the W1 chip
- Multi-point connectivity
- Secure, comfortable fit
- The cable is longer than necessary
- The treble is a bit rough
The BeatsX is a solid in-ear headphone with maximum comfort, intelligent iOS integration, and a surprisingly effective quick charging function.
Some Key Buying Factors to Note
In other words, what are you going to use the headphones for? Are you very active, or do you spend most of your working day in a room? Some designs are more suitable for sports and others for relaxing and listening.
If you use them for training, you should get headphones with sweat-resistant properties and a lightweight. If you want to use them at home to watch movies or answer calls in the office, bulky headphones are just the thing.
The degree of durability required will vary widely from person to person. Some people are very meticulous, others are a bit more carefree. In any case, additional durability is, of course, great for peace of mind.
If you travel a lot with your headphones, and especially if you’re overly active, durability will play a key role in the life of your headphones.
This will save you money and unnecessary inconvenience in the long run. If you’re more of a listener who stays at home, durability is less important, but still present. Make sure you estimate exactly what strength your speakers will need.
Battery life is synonymous with convenience. The longer the battery life, the less often calls, songs, and films are interrupted. The battery life of 40 hours is not essential in most cases.
However, if you have to make your phone calls through headphones at any time, the extra battery life could save you a lot of headaches. Moderate battery life is sufficient for the occasional listener.
In many cases, you don’t need to wear your headphones for more than 2-3 hours when listening to a podcast or watching a movie. Most models these days have a battery life of at least 5 hours, so even the shortest battery life is longer than what an occasional listener needs.
With other factors in mind, decide what the right expectation in terms of battery life is?
What sound quality do you need? If you’re in a position where buying neckband headphones is an option, you will likely find a device that delivers great sound.
Are you a music lover? Do you love watching movies? Are you a high-pressure caller or a podcast listener? If you’re a music lover, you should focus on sound quality. Music is developed and created to sound in a certain way.
If we allow music to devour our minds and take us to another place, we can achieve a state of steady flow. This contributes to increased productivity and overall satisfaction.
In this case, you won’t want to be satisfied with mediocre sound quality. If you prefer to just listen to podcasts in the house, you can afford to do without the sound quality.
You don’t need a rich bass and a perfect balance. Only consider paying extra for the excellent sound quality if it is essential for your enjoyment.
The brand quality says a lot about the type of headphones you’re likely to get. It’s a good idea to research brands you don’t know about. This way, you can anticipate potential problems such as poor durability or a poor customer service department.
Earplugs should be extremely comfortable so you can listen to music without having to take frequent breaks. Nevertheless, you have to pay attention to the small details to make the right purchasing decision. Here are some tips to look out for:
Ear-tips: take a look at the number of ear-tips that are included in the package and the materials used. You’ll usually find foam, rubber, and silicone ear-tips, each with their properties.
A selection of ear-tip sizes is required to ensure that you get the right fit for your ears. Choosing the right size also means that noise isolation is improved, which in turn helps maintain sound clarity even in noisy environments.
Weight: the weight of each retractable headphone helps you compare the different options. The solid band of the over the neck design means that such headphones are heavier than if a wire was used.
Placement of Buttons: Each band is supplied with buttons that you can use to change the personal sound experience. However, if the placement of the buttons is cumbersome, trying to achieve something can be frustrating. So pay attention to the positioning of buttons and how they are implemented.
Neckband headphones are great for many reasons. They offer more sound performance, battery life, and comfort. They are specifically designed to be worn all day long. Any of the products on this list will be good for your purpose, but some are better than others.